Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Zoo days

I was having a bit of trouble with my character, so spent 2 days at Marwell zoo, getting inspired. I looked at their list of animals before I went, so that I concentrated on the ones that I thought would be especially useful to this project. Having done the observation and experiment module last term, I felt a lot more confident than on previous trips, and as these drawings were more like taking notes for myself, rather than about producing drawings that were going to be marked, I felt a lot more relaxed.. I was lucky enough to get 2 beautifully sunny days too, which helped a lot!

Character Designs

I want the main character to be vaguely dragon-like, but a nice, friendly, slightly sad and lonely dragon, not one that will try to eat you! She will need to do some quite human things, so also needs to be able to stand on 2 legs and have quite human hands.


We start back at uni in a couple of weeks, so I am starting to think about what I want to do for my next project. This one has to be aimed at a specific age group. I am finding it quite difficult to work out what age my idea would be appropriate for, but I'm sure once we get back, the tutors will be able to help me with that side of things. For now, I am just working on some rough designs for how I want the project to look.

Friday, 17 January 2014

Final piece

For my final piece, I put together all the pictures I had been working on, to make them into a small film/animation. Only 2 of the pieces are fully finished, the others are colour roughs, but hopefully you can get the idea of what I was aiming for. There is sound so please make sure you have the volume turned up a bit. The music was made and recorded by Nick at DTSE Music.

Finished pieces

I can't believe how quickly this MA is going. We have now finished 2 modules, and have 3 left to do. I really enjoyed the last module and was pleased with the 2 pieces of final artwork I managed to finish.